Katie and Atha both took on the challenge of creating some Livewell recipes for the rest of us - we think they might have Masterchef aspirations.
Spiced Rice Salad - serves 1
Ingredients: 75g brown rice, 1 x apple (ideally nice and crunchy), 1 x pepper (your choice of colour) and some peas.
Dressing: Tablespoon natural yoghurt, teaspoon garam masala
- cook rice and allow to cool
- chop up apple and pepper, cook peas and allow them to cool
- mix apple, pepper and peas into cooked rice
- mix yoghurt and garam masala and taste - change quantities to taste preference
- stir in dressing to rice mix
Can be made ahead for a lunchbox - but make sure you only cut up the apple just before eating to stop it from going brown. Optional extras to add would be steamed chicken or salad.
Prawn Fajitas - use the per person quantities from the Livewell menu
- fry onion
- add prawns and some yummy fajita spice mix
- add pepper
- serve with some lettuce and fajita wraps
Optional extras - kidney beans or use chicken instead of prawns.
Atha shows us his prowess in the vegetarian kitchen with Spinach and Chickpeas.
Ingredients: a tin of chickpeas, 200g spinach, 3 tomatoes (depulped and sliced), 3-4 cloves of garlic, 1 red chilli (remove seeds and slice), 1/2 teaspoon cumin, seasoning (salt, pepper and oregano), olive oil.
- sautee garlic and chilli in oil
- once oil is hot and garlic has just softened, add cumin (for 10 seconds)
- add the tin of drained chickpeas, stir to ensure that they are coated with the flavoured oil
- after a couple of minutes add the tomatoes and stir, cook for a couple of minutes
- add the spinach, once it is all wilted add some of the juice from the tinned chickpeas
- add seasoning
- stir and allow to reduce by a third
We hope that you enjoy trying out their recipes.