According to Eleanor, there is always a copy of the book on Diane's coffee table at home, casually left open on p.176.
Diane’s apple and cinnamon buns Makes 12 large buns
2 medium cooking apples
225g self raising wholemeal flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
50g brown sugar
1 large beaten free range egg
What you need to do
1. Preheat oven to Gas Mark 5(375F/190C).
2. Peel, core and dice the apples then put to one side.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a bowl.
4. Rub the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles breadcrumbs.
5. Add the apple, sugar and beaten egg to the bowl and mix combine well with a fork (if the mixture seems a bit dry, you can add a few drops on milk)
6. Place heaped spoonfuls of the mixture onto a greased/non-stick baking tray.
7. Bake for 20-25 mins until golden.
Perfect for a sit down and cup of tea.